As an association we maintain three membership levels consisting of Individual, Family/ Group and Honorary. Cardiff Vale and Valleys Beekeepers is part of the Welsh Beekeepers Association (WBKA). Our membership runs on an annual basis from 1st January to 31st December.
Membership includes the following ;
* Regular meetings, demonstrations and presentations.
* Bee Disease Insurance (BDI)
* Third party public liability and product liability indemnity of £5 million.
* Membership of the Welsh Beekeepers Association (WBKA)
* Quarterly WBKA magazine.
* Support from fellow beekeepers through sharing news, views and knowledge.
* Library of beekeeping books to borrow for a small charge.
* Opportunity to borrow association equipment (refundable deposit required)
* Annual Honey Show – a chance for members to show off their honey and honey products.
* Volunteering opportunities at events and the chance to be a committee member.
* Regular email updates of news and events.
* Out apiary sessions in the summer months.
The standard level of Individual Membership includes Bee Disease Insurance (BDI) for up to and including 3 colonies. If you have additional colonies then top-up cover can be purchased on a number of colonies basis. The levels of top-up cover are shown below.
Please note all your colonies must have BDI insurance. This includes hives, nuclei and hived swarms. Possible increases should be accounted for, as under insurance invalidates your BDI cover. If payments are made after the 31st March, cover does not commence until 40 days after the date of payment.
Theft and vandalism insurance is available through British Beekeepers Association. This can be found at https://www.bbka.org.uk/all-risks-insurance
To purchase a membership subcription please select the membership type with the appropriate number of colonies you require to be insured (please note all colonies must be insured). You will be directed to the payment gateway, and upon payment please complete the membership form
Frequently Asked Questions
When does membership run?
Association membership runs from 1st January to 31st December. We send an email out to members at the end of the year to renew their membership.
What do you do with my personal information? - Your personal data is held following our GDPR policy.
What is Bee Disease Insurance? Why are there extra charges?
Bee Disease Insurance (BDI) compensates insured beekeepers for bee and equipment losses where their bees are destroyed or treated for notifiable diseases under current UK legislation.
BDI has a 40-day rule meaning all subscriptions and premiums that are paid before 31 March will take effect immediately. These, plus any “top up” paid after 31 March will not enjoy cover for 40 days following payment. It is therefore sensible for the beekeeper to pay on time and allow for any expected increase in the numbers of colonies they may have during the season, which might be due to swarm control, collecting swarms or queen rearing.
How do I report a membership query?
If you have a membership query you can contact the Association on firstname.lastname@example.org
Can I change my membership level?
If you have purchased the wrong membership type, you can contact email@example.com